Influenza and COVID-19 Updates

Author: PDI Healthcare Clinical Team

Categories: Articles, Healthcare & Patient Care April 1, 2022

October marked the start of the 2021-2022 Influenza season. This year presents unique challenges due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, so it’s more important than ever to ensure you are protecting your health and the health of your loved ones with proper infection prevention measures. PDI is invested in providing you with the most up-to-date information as it becomes available. Please continue to visit this page for ongoing updates regarding the status of the COVID-19 pandemic and the Influenza virus!

U.S. Influenza Activity: Review of 2020-2021 Influenza Season 2

  • Flu activity was unusually VERY LOW, only 0.2% of specimens tested were positive for influenza.
  • 193.8 million influenza vaccinations were given during the 2020-2021 flu season, which is the most ever given during any flu season.
  • Influenza A strains account for about 37.5% of total circulation, which is lower than in prior flu seasons. Influenza B accounted for the other 62.5%.

U.S. Influenza Activity VARIES REGIONALLY! – Week ending March 26th, 2022

  • As of March 26th, reports of Influenza-Like Illness are highest in central and south-central regions but declining and increasing in the northeast and northwest regions.
  • Approximately 6.5% of specimens tested are positive for Influenza. Majority of viruses are Influenza A (H3N2).
  • As of March 26th, 1.8% of outpatient visits were for Influenza-Like Illness (ILI), which is below the national baseline.
  • 8.3% of deaths were attributed to pneumonia, influenza, or COVID-19, which is more than the epidemic threshold of 7.2% for this time period.
  • 1 pediatric death has been reported this week, totaling 14 during the 2021-2022 Flu Season.

U.S. COVID-19 Activity-Data as March 17th, 2022 1

  • As of March 31st, there have been 79,904,464 cases of COVID-19 in the United States.
  • There have been 977,495 total deaths in the United States.
  • As of March 31st, there have been 846,606,493 tests reported. Of those, 78,295,219 have been positive, and currently, the 7-day positivity rate is 2.34%- which is a slight INCREASE from the last update.
  • As of March 31st, the 7-day average is 54.3 new cases per 100,000 people. This is a decrease from the last update.

Helpful Prevention Tips:

  • Consider getting your influenza vaccination
  • Ensure that you’re practicing social distancing measures: mask-wearing, hand hygiene, & enhanced cleaning to protect you and your loved ones. This is helpful in COVID-19 and Influenza prevention.
  • CDC now recommends that everyone ages 18 and older should get a booster shot. Please visit the CDC website for additional information.
  • The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for children ages 5 through 11 years. CDC now recommends that children ages 5 through 11 get a COVID-19 vaccine.
  • On December 1, CDC released a Health Alert Network (HAN) Advisory for the new SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern: Omicron (B.1.1.529). The HAN can be found here. While the science around this variant rapidly unfolds, layered prevention strategies should be used to reduce SARS-CoV-2 transmission including vaccination, masking, improving ventilation, social distancing, handwashing, and viral testing.

 

1 https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/  

2 https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/summary.htm