COVID-19 and Influenza Updates
October marked the start of the 2020-2021 Influenza season. This year presents unique challenges due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, so it’s more important than ever to ensure you are protecting your health and the health of your loved ones with proper infection prevention measures. PDI is invested in providing you the most up-to-date information as it becomes available. Please continue to visit this page for ongoing updates regarding the status of the COVID-19 pandemic and the Influenza virus!
The State of Inluenza1:
- As of October 24th, reports of Influenza-Like Illness are MINIMAL.
- Approximately 0.2% of specimens tested are positive for Influenza, which is very low.
- Influenza A strains account for about 54% of current circulation, while Influenza B accounted for the other 46%. However, there has only been approximately 156 positive tests reported since the beginning of this flu season.
- 8.2% of deaths were attributed to pneumonia, influenza, or COVID-19 for this time period, which is more than the epidemic threshold of 5.7% for this time period. Hospitalization data will be reported once it’s available later this season.
- No pediatric deaths have been reported during the 2020-2021 Flu Season yet..
The State of COVID-192:
- As of November 4th, there have been 9,357,245 cases of COVID-19 in the United States, over 600,000 cases have been reported in the last 7 days.
- There have been 231,988 total deaths in the United States. An average of 850 deaths are reported/day.
- As of November 4th, 152,599,729 tests have been reported. Of those, 11,198,066 have been positive, for a 7% cumulative positive rate.
- National forecasts predict a large increase in the number of new cases per day over the next four weeks. For the week of November 21, the forecasts estimate 310,000-710,000 new COVID-19 cases for that week.
Helpful Prevention Tips:
- Get your Influenza vaccination
- Ensure that you’re practicing social distancing measures: wearing a mask, performing proper hand hygiene, and enhanced surface disinfection and cleaning to protect you and your loved ones. This is helpful for both COVID-19 and Influenza prevention.