COVID-19 and Influenza Updates
October marked the start of the 2020-2021 Influenza season. This year presents unique challenges due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, so it’s more important than ever to ensure you are protecting your health and the health of your loved ones with proper infection prevention measures. PDI is invested in providing you the most up-to-date information as it becomes available. Please continue to visit this page for ongoing updates regarding the status of the COVID-19 pandemic and the Influenza virus!
The State of Inluenza1:
- As of January 16, reports of Influenza-Like Illness are lower than normal for this time of year.
- Approximately 0.2% of specimens tested are positive for Influenza, which is very low.
- Influenza A strains account for about 39.1% of current circulation, while Influenza B accounted for the other 60.9%. However, there has only been approximately 925 positive tests reported since the beginning of this flu season.
- 14.7% of deaths were attributed to pneumonia, influenza, or COVID-19 for this time period, which is more than the epidemic threshold of 6.1% for this time period. There have been 136 hospitalizations for confirmed influenza this season for a cumulative hospitalization rate of 0.5 per 100,000 persons.
- One pediatric deaths have been reported during the 2020-2021 Flu Season yet..
The State of COVID-192:
- As of January 21, there have been 24,323,846 cases of COVID-19 in the United States, over 1.357 million have been reported in the last 7 days.
- There have been 404,689 total deaths in the United States.
- As of January 21, 278,856,632 tests have been reported. Of those, 25,757,918 have been positive, for an 9.24% cumulative positive rate.
- National forecasts predict an increase in the number of new cases over the next four weeks. For the week of February 13, the forecasts estimate up to 2 million new COVID-19 cases for that week.
COVID-19 Vaccination Statistics3 (as of January 21):
- Total Doses Distributed: 37,960,000
- Total Doses Administered: 17,546,374
- Number of People Receiving 1 or More Doses: 15,053,257
- Number of People Received 2 Doses: 2,394,961
- Doses Administered in Long- Term Care Facilities: 2,089,181
Helpful Prevention Tips:
- Ensure that you’re practicing social distancing measures: wearing a mask, performing proper hand hygiene, and enhanced surface disinfection and cleaning to protect you and your loved ones. This is helpful for both COVID-19 and Influenza prevention.
1https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/summary.htm; 2https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/ 3https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations