COVID-19 and Influenza Updates

Categories: Environment of Care & Patient Care March 8, 2021
Girl with mask standing outside

October marked the start of the 2020-2021 Influenza season. This year presents unique challenges due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, so it’s more important than ever to ensure you are protecting your health and the health of your loved ones with proper infection prevention measures. PDI is invested in providing you the most up-to-date information as it becomes available. Please continue to visit this page for ongoing updates regarding the status of the COVID-19 pandemic and the Influenza virus!

 

The State of Inluenza1:

  • As of February 20th, reports of Influenza-Like Illness are much lowers than normal for this time of year.
  • Approximately 0.1% of specimens tested are positive for Influenza, which is extremely low.
  • Influenza A strains account for about 46.4% of current circulation, while Influenza B accounted for the other 53.6%. However, there has only been approximately 1,499 positive tests reported since the beginning of this flu season.
  • 19.3% of deaths were attributed to pneumonia, influenza, or COVID-19 for this time period, which is more than the epidemic threshold of 7.2% for this time period. There have been 183 hospitalizations for confirmed influenza this season for a cumulative hospitalization rate of 0.6 per 100,000 persons.
  • One pediatric deaths have been reported during the 2020-2021 Flu Season yet..

The State of COVID-192

  • As of March 3, there have been 28,514,774 cases of COVID-19 in the United States, over 447 thousand cases have been reported in the last 7 days, whihc is a decrease from the prior update
  • There have been 515,277 total deaths in the United States.
  • As of March 3, 336,104,389  tests have been reported. Of those, 29,942,463 have been positive, for an 8.91% cumulative positive rate.
  • National forecasts predict that there will be a decrease in the number of new cases over the next four weeks. For the week of March 27, the forecasts estimate 166,000 to 563,000 new COVID-19 cases for that week, which is a decrease from the prior update.

COVID-19 Vaccination Statistics3 (as of March 3):

  • Total Doses Delivered: 107,028,890
  • Total Doses Administered: 80,540,474
  • Number of People Receiving 1 or More Doses: 52,855,579
  • Number of People Received 2 Doses: 26,957,804

Helpful Prevention Tips:

  1. Ensure that you’re practicing social distancing measures: wearing a mask, performing proper hand hygiene, and enhanced surface disinfection and cleaning to protect you and your loved ones. This is helpful for both COVID-19 and Influenza prevention.
  2. Check with your state and local department of health to determine your eligibility for the COVID-19 vaccine, if you choose to take it.

1https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/summary.htm; 2https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/  3https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations