This CE course was presented live at APIC in Boise, Idaho.
This course qualifies for 1 CE / 1 IPU and corresponds to the following Infection Prevention Unit (IPU) domain(s):
- Preventing/Controlling the Transmission of Infectious Agents
- Environment of Care
- Cleaning, Sterilization, Disinfection, Asepsis
At the end of this course, the learner should be able to:
- Understand the survival of pathogens on surfaces and the environment as a reservoir.
- Outline importance of environmental disinfection within Ambulatory care, Long Term Care and Acute Care settings
- Identify chemicals used in healthcare disinfectants and their properties
- Review characteristics of an ideal disinfectant
- Understand the regulatory framework for disinfectants and define EPA registration of disinfectants
- List three new technologies for cleaning and disinfection
- Describe a few studies relating environmental disinfection to its impact on HAIs